Sunday 17 June 2012

NOTD: Pastel Gradient Nails

Since starting blogging I have been exposed to so many different nail techniques - and I just want to try them all! On my to do list so far there is marble nails, striped nails, nail stamps and newspaper nails. One technique I can tick off my list though is gradient nails! After much deliberation over what colours to go with, this creation actually came from a mistake that I made. I intended on going from dark pastels to white, transitioning green to blue, and then blue to white - but I somehow subconsciously found myself painting my base blue, and thus these nails were born!


gradient nails, nail varnish, pastel, ELF, eyes lips face, Barry M, Blue Moon, Barry M Blue Moon, mint cream, ELF nail varnish, nail art


Both colours are incredibly pastel, and so the gradient is very subtle - but it is there! What do you think of my first try? I didn't watch any tutorial, I just guessed at the technique from seeing other pictures and reading the word 'sponge' a lot! This picture was taken straight after painting so you can see there is very little clean up to be done.


Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, Sally Hansen, anti chip, top coat, nail varnish, ELF, eyes lips face, mint cream, nail polish, Barry M, Barry M nail varnish, Blue Moon


I began with a base colour of Blue Moon by Barry M, just painting the nail as normal, and then used an unwanted foundation sponge to start sponging Mint Cream by ELF onto the bottom of the nail upwards. After the green was successfully sponged onto the nail, I went over the blue/green border with Blue Moon again - this time using a second sponge, just to blur out the border a bit. Sally Hansen's Insta Dri top coat just sealed the deal .




What's your verdict? Is the gradient too subtle? Keep checking back for updates on me trying out other nail art techniques! Or do you have any techniques that I didn't mention and think people should give a go?






14 comments:

  1. I love it, I really like the colour combination !
    && I can't wait to see more nail art : D !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More nail art is definitely on the way! Most probably newspaper or galaxy nails :)

      Delete
  2. I love those colours...so summery!I love nail art posts:)

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great design! :)

    I've got lots of nail art I wanna try too! xx

    Laura xx

    http://laurasallmadeupbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colour combination it looks lovely! might have to try this at some point x
    http://beautyisunwrittenxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i love the look of this! i wish i didn't have such crap nails - i bite them and they look awful :(
    really love your blog, by the way! i love the layout and especially your posts :) i'm officially subscribed -- can't wait to see more posts from you!!

    -alexandra
    http://alexisinodak.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just checked out your blog too, you're so arty! I'm so jealous!

      Delete
  6. Love the choice of colours, looks really lovely :)

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.com/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty subtle combo here, love it! :) x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your nails, the colours are gorgeous :) I've seen this look on several blogs and I really want to give it a try!
    Love the new style of your 'page' buttons :)
    Love Holz oxo

    http://beautifulsimplicity-holziepink.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Holly you have no idea how long it took - looking through countless CSS and html on google! Hopefully it all paid off! Definitely give gradient nails a go, they're not as hard as they look :)

      Delete
  9. I really want to try this! I tried newspaper nails the other day but they didn't look that great:( aha

    thebeautymist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barry M does the best colours :D I am obsessed with them and Revlon :)


    http://amourbeauty21.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete